- TWCU Summer Programs
- Saint Michael's College
- What skill did you gain the most (academically or socially)?
- Through my studying abroad, I became more active on work and speaking. I had a lot of free time except my classes, so there was nothing I could do unless I became active.
Also, teachers seldom picked students to answer in class, so I always made myself speak
out proactively. I was not a very active person until I went to America, but now I became
more active by experiencing situations where you could not do anything without
starting from yourself.
- What is the biggest thing you wish you would have done during the stay?
- I regret that I didn't talk to teachers and students actively enough in the beginning of the study abroad. I was nervous for the first few days and I couldn't speak much. When
I got used to life there, I became able to start conversation proactively. As my stay was
only for one month, time passed quickly. I thought I wanted to speak English more when
I came back to Japan, and I regretted that I had wasted my first few days in America.
- What was your proudest accomplishment during your stay?
- I gave presentations on Japanese culture at elementary schools, junior high schools,universities, nursing homes, and many other places during my study abroad. I was very
nervous and worried about my English every time, but I felt a sense of accomplishment
because the people who listened to me were excited and laughing. Also, I talked with my
audience after the presentations, and I was happy that I communicated with them a lot
while teaching origami and Japanese greeting phrases.