TWCU since 1918
In 1900, at L'Exposition de Paris, Inazo Nitobe who was an examiner for the expo met Tetsu Yasui who was on the way back to Japan after finishing her study in England.
That was the first time they met, but it was a fateful encounter as Yasui described in a letter to her friend, "We became spiritual friends, like best friends for twenty years."
Ten years later, the plan for the founding of TWCU originated in the World's Missionary Conference held at Edinburgh.
Inazo Nitobe 1862-1933
TWCU was established in 1918 with support from Protestant denominations of North America. Inazo Nitobe became the first president, Tetsu Yasui the first dean, and A.K.Reischauer, who worked as one of the founders since 1915, the first Executive Secretary. In a time when higher education was not readily available to women anywhere in Japan, TWCU opened its doors to women and started offering liberal arts education based on Christian principles.
August Karl Reischauer 1879-1971
After Inazo Nitobe, Yasui served as the second president of TWCU where she was able to offer ideal education. Yasui cherished TWCU's atmosphere created by Christianity, and she called it "something".
While she had great aspirations, she respected each student's personality. Her faithful and affectional attitude was highly respected.
Tetsu Yasui 1870-1945
Yasui Memorial Building
The Main Building is the centerpiece of the original campus designed by Antonin Raymond, the famous Czech architect and once an assistant to Frank Lloyd Wright. It is one of our seven university buildings listed as Registered Tangible Cultural Properties by the Agency for Cultural Affairs. The building was used as the library for a long time, and now the Nitobe Historical Center is located on the 2nd and 3rd floors. The TWCU motto, "QUAECUNQUE SUNT VERA" (whatever things are true) (Phil 4:8), is engraved on the façade.
Chapel and Auditorium
The students who wish may attend worship every morning.
Pipe organ concerts in this chapel are very popular events among the local citizens.
Mure Campus was home to the Junior College from 1966 to 1992 and the College of Culture and Communication from 1988 to 1997.
The 50th Anniversary Ceremony
More than 60,000 students have graduated from TWCU since it was founded.
In 1991, a pipe organ was installed in the chapel.
"croSS" Square A new space was created when the campus was redeveloped to celebrate its 90th anniversary in 2009.
Sakura Dormitory In commemoration of the centenary of its establishment, a new dormitory was built in 2016.
In 2018, TWCU celebrated its centenary.
While cherishing the tradition of nurturing each student, TWCU has evolved to foster our students to become responsible global citizens in the 21st century.